Putting your belongings into a storage unit is a great way to declutter your home while still holding on to some of the things you don’t actively use. That’s why many people opt to get storage units Denver CO when they’re moving or clearing out their homes. However, if the day comes when you want to take your things out of storage, you should be prepared for some packing. In case packing your storage unit seems like an overwhelming task and you don’t know where to start, we’re here to help. We’ll give you some easy tips which you can put on your packing checklist and use as a guide.
Get packing supplies
The first step of packing is always getting the needed packing supplies. Whether you’re packing for moving from California to Colorado or packing your storage space, you’ll need some supplies. The good news is – you have plenty of options to choose from. It doesn’t matter if you want to find free supplies or buy new ones, you can find whatever you’re looking for. The important thing is to get enough supplies to pack all your belongings and make sure they’re safe and protected.
What to use for packing your storage unit
There are a lot of different things you can use to pack up your belongings. That’s why you should find out which packing supplies are available to you and which ones are best for your needs. Here are some options you can consider.
- Cardboard boxes. Cardboard boxes are the first thing that comes to mind when you think about packing. They’re a go-to option for most people. After all, they’re practical and easy to get. The best thing about them is – you can get them for free. Visit your local supermarkets or other places that get regular deliveries and ask them to give you the boxes they don’t need.
- Plastic containers. If you’re looking for a sturdier option, plastic containers are the ones for you. They’re safer than cardboard boxes and you can reuse them however many times you want.
- Wooden crates. If you’re looking for sturdy packing supplies, you should also consider wooden crates. Just be wary of wet environments that could ruin the wood.
- Suitcases & bags. In case you don’t want to spend money on packing supplies, look around your home and use what you’ve got. Suitcases and bags are always a good option, so you can utilize them to pack your storage unit.
- Trash bags. If your storage unit doesn’t contain any fragile objects, you could even use trash bags. Just don’t use bags for packing anything that can be ruined in transport.
Don’t forget about wrapping
Wrapping is something you can’t overlook when you’re packing up the storage unit. Most likely, there are things in your storage unit that require a little bit more care and protection. After all, you want to make sure none of your belongings get broken or ruined in transportation. So, take some extra time to wrap things up before putting them into boxes.
Materials to use for wrapping
Wrapping doesn’t have to be a difficult step and getting wrapping materials shouldn’t be a challenge. You have a few options you can choose from when deciding what to use for wrapping your belongings. Here are a few ideas.
- Bubble pack. When people think about wrapping, they think of bubble pack. After all, this is a very effective way to wrap your belongings and make sure they stay safe and secure in their boxes. You can rest assured nothing will get damaged if you use bubble pack for wrapping.
- Towels & sheets. Even though the bubble pack is effective, you don’t have to spend extra money on wrapping supplies. Instead, you can take your towels or sheets to wrap things up and protect them from damages. You can even use old clothes or anything similar for wrapping when you’re packing your storage.
- Newspapers or packing paper. The paper might not be the material that provides the most protection, but it can definitely be useful. For extra safety, you can always combine it with another material and double-up the protection.
Be careful when packing fragile items
As we’ve mentioned earlier, there are certain things that require a little more attention when you’re packing up the storage unit. If you own any things that are valuable or fragile, take time to pack them properly. If you don’t know how to pack fragile items, we’ll give you a few simple pointers.
- Wrap, wrap, wrap! We’ve already talked about the importance of wrapping, so we’ll just reiterate that it’s especially crucial when it comes to fragile things.
- Use original packaging if you have it.
- Add newspapers and packing peanuts into the boxes so that your fragile items don’t move around.
- Make sure to label the boxes!
Label the boxes after packing your storage unit
Last but not least, you need to make sure to label the moving boxes when you’re packing your storage unit. This way you’ll know what each box contains and how to treat the boxes. If a certain box is filled by fragile items, the label will let you know to be careful while carrying the box. Also, you’ll know where to place each box and unpack it. Make the labels visible, understandable and large.
Hopefully, these simple guidelines will help with packing your storage unit and make this process quicker and easier. If you’re still having any issues while packing, you can always ask your friends or some professionals for assistance. Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help.